Friday, May 2, 2008

Mayor's Prayer Breakfast

I attended thanks to Kathy Yenigues and enjoyed sitting next to Patricia Thompson of Porterville whe has a lovely expressive worship ministry. The food, thankfully was not the reason we were there. It was a blessing to know that so many pastors, city leaddership, servicemen and police, fire and sherrifs believe that prayer makes a difference. Even sherrif Whitman spoke personally with us and said after all of his years in service he started out with a shame of the gospel, but now believes that the problems cannot be arrested away, but prayer is an effective tool of change. Another sherrif's chaplain said 'we are a christian organization', one sherrif's chaplain even thanked me for bringing my flags.

Every time i step inot new and unfamiliar territory, and the Mayors Prayer Breakfast certainly is that, I am hit by the doubts and lies from the enemy. I actually heard 'Maybe you shouldn't bring the flags at all' HA! Teh lfunny thing is that a year ago I would have struggled with that one, this morning there was just a Yeah Right, in my spirit and I continued getting ready. I was nervous because I am not a 'suit', and not only has it been years since I wore professional attire, it has been 15 pounds since then too. I settled for my nicest jeans with heels and a pretty sweater. How can one be a suit with pink hair anyway? I am obviously a punk, a Jesus punk, but nonetheless a punk at a business breakfast. There has been nowhere in the past several years that the enemy has tried to convince me more that I did not belong, and should not follow my calling.

Even during the worship songs where i am undoubtedly called there was this inner turmoil to step out. IT was difficult, but since I have had breakthrough before, I stepped out and used my smallest flag, during the next worship song the three fo us ladies stood when no one else did (the song said "I Stand...")in the very center of hundreds of people, and that place was BIG!

After Mr A C Green of the Lakers humbly shared his story of his faith journey, belief in Jesus and belief in prayer, as well as being there in times of trouble and controversy for his team mates. (My husband was very jealous) The Visalia Times Delta (and Tulare Advence Register) reporter Steve R Fujimoto, came up to myself and Kathy and Patricia, got our names, and asked me What's with the Flags?

I was a little stunned by the question, so I answered simply, they are Worship Banners. I sputtered a little more to him and handed him a brochure. I knew we were going to be in the paper. Crap! I hope I didn't make a goofy face!

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080502/NEWS01/805020326

Here is the lovely article in our local paper, it is exciting and scary to see your name and face on your local paper. What is that funny God gonna do next???

No comments: